Review Of The Fear Trials

Wednesday, 30 July 2014
Book: The Fear Trials
Author: Lindsay Cummings
Publisher: Harper Collins
Genre: Young Adult, Novella, Prequel, Horror, Dystopian
Cover:











Rating: 7/5 Stars (Because it deserved more than just 5 stars and 6 wasn't enough.)

Summary: Meadow Woodson has been trained to survive. This is a prequel to The Murder Complex, by Lindsay Cummings, and it is set in a blood-soaked world where the murder rate is higher than the birth rate. For fans of Moira Young's Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson's father calls it The Fear Trials, and it is a rite of passage in their family. Meadow is up against her brother Koi. The Fear Trials will both harden her and make her brave. If Meadow wins, she will get a weapon of her own and the right to leave the Woodsons' houseboat without her father or mother at her side. Set in the violent, complex, and mysterious world of The Murder Complex, and introducing Meadow Woodson—a teenage girl trained to survive no matter what the cost—and her family, who are together for the last time on their houseboat in the Florida Everglades.


Review: Can I just say that this novella was perfect? Wait, this is my blog. I'm expressing my opinions so of course I can say what I want. Meadow Woodson has got to be one of my favourite protagonists of all time. Done. She's so awesome and cool that I just want to be her best friend. The way she's portrayed in the novel was perfectly done. Good job to Lindsay Cummings for making me instantly (yes INSTANTLY) fall in love with a character.

In case you haven't read this novella yet, I won't tell you the ending but OH MY GOSH THAT WAS SO...PERFECT! (I get it. I've used the word perfect in this review a few times already, but no other word fits this book so perfectly.) It was foreshadowed perfectly so that you knew it would eventually come in the series, but you didn't think it would happen in the novella.

For those of you who don't know, Lindsay Cummings is such an amazing author! Seriously though, she's one of my favourites. The way she describes everything is done in such a fascinating way in which you're told enough information so that you can picture what's being described in your head, but not too much description to the point where you're questioning whether or not you should finish the book. (She also followed me on Instagram, which makes me like her even more. :) (I'd already read this and loved it. Her following me was just the cherry on top.) I also fangirled (Is that how you spell it?) afterwards.)

Overall, I'm planning on reading The Murder Complex (the first book in the series) sometime in August. And if I love it as much as I loved this, then I'll be sure to host some sort of read along for it.

- Hearts And Crowns

P.S. THE SECOND BOOK HAS A TITLE! OMG I LOVE IT SO MUCH! IT'S CALLED THE DEATH CODE!

The Fear Trials Goodreads
The Murder Complex Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!