Female Protagonists

Saturday, 23 August 2014
So the way I see it, there are two different types of female protagonists. You have the decisive ones who know what they want and won't let anything get in their way of achieving that goal, and you have the indecisive ones (I'm looking at you America) who don't know what they want and are annoying and take forever to choose. The problem in young adult novels nowadays is that a lot of these female protagonists fall under the second type.

Why? I wish I knew.

I understand that all characters have their flaws but it seems as if all these characters take books to decide even the simplest of things. I also think one of the biggest causes of this indecisiveness is love triangles. Of course there are other factors, but this one seems to be the situation that effects the majority of the girls under this category.

The girl falls for one boy, but then she falls in love with another one and now she is torn and apparently lost her ability to make choices. And even if she can, they tend to be irrational. Take America Singer from The Selection books for example. She loves Aspen, he breaks her heart, she enters the selection, starts falling for Maxon, and then can't choose between the two boys so she goes in-between phases. One of those "phases" was at the end of The Elite. (You'll understand if you've read the book.) After she chooses the boy (and the boy chooses her), she begins to make somewhat rational decisions (or at least I think she has since their wedding).

Another example is the silly Twilight romance. I'm not even going to bother trying to explain because that one is too complicated.

Do authors realize how much their indecisive protagonists would suck at real life?

Overall, the "I can't choose" dilemma is overused in novels. Please give us more bad a** female protagonists. Thank you very much.

Let me know in the comments which indecisive female characters you can't stand.

I'll see you all tomorrow for another post!

- Hearts And Crowns

3 comments:

  1. It's a great article! I can't stand Clary in the Mortal Instruments. Of course she's indecive but that's not the worst part. She's just useless, She could be replaced by a plant. She doesn't know how to do anything, She is totally gifted to get in trouble all the time and she can't save herself at all. She depends on all the other characters. She just annoys me so much ^^


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indecisive sorry, I have French auto correct

      Delete
    2. First of all, I'm glad that you liked it. Second, I tried reading City of Bones and something about it made me stop. The concept was cool but I agree with you, Clary wasn't a strong character.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!