Review Of Pinny the Bowling Pin

Thursday, 6 November 2014
Book: Pinny the Bowling Pin

Author: Leah Ward

Publisher: N/A

Genre: Children's Lit, Picture Book, Indie Book

Rating: 0/5 Stars


Review: I wanted to like this book so badly. I really did. But I didn't. In fact, I'm quite disappointed in this book. It wasn't what I originally thought it was going to be and here's why. 

First, the "anti-bullying" elements/theme were not prominent enough for my tastes — actually, they weren't really there at all. If you have to tell me that a character is rude, then we have a problem. There is this golden rule in writing: show, don't tell. I didn't really believe that Jock was this "bully" that he was supposed to be. Yes, he told Pinny to "give up" and yes, he said that Pinny was a "girl's name" and yes, he called Pinny a "loser" but it didn't even affect Pinny in any way, shape, or form. He just daydreamed about happy things. The reader didn't even get to see how bullying affects other people and thus, is left wondering why putting someone down is bad. Also, in the end everything magically worked out, when I think that having Pinny tell the supervisor would have left a bigger impression on the reader as to what to do if anyone is ever bullying them.

Next, I didn't care for Pinny at all. There was no connection there and even though it's a picture book, the reader should still feel something towards the protagonist. If anything, I was somewhat angry at Pinny for not daydreaming of having a cool job like being a teacher, a scientist, or a librarian. So what if he's the bowling pin that you can never knock down? In the end, I just didn't care.

Also, I found the writing to be mediocre at best. It was too choppy and UNNECESSARILY repetitive for my tastes. I don't need to be reminded that he can't fall down multiple times in a fourteen page book. It's okay. I got it the first time and so do little kids. They're not stupid. They can retain the fact that he can't fall down (which was never actually answered in the story). In addition to that, the writing style was only okay when I expected great after reading fabulous reviews on Goodreads for her other books.

On the bright side, the illustrations were cute and there is a happy ending which is always good for picture books.

Overall, don't let the synopsis fool you (hence why I didn't bother including it and all of its inaccuracy), this story is more of a light, fun read with cute pictures that you read once and that's it really.

I would only recommend this book if you are looking for a lighthearted book with an unnoticeable theme for fairly young readers aged 3-4 years old. Anyone older is less likely to enjoy the story. And no, I don't have plans to read any other books by Leah in the future.

See you all soon!

- Hearts And Crowns

***Disclaimer: This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!