Review of The Naturals

Monday, 17 August 2015
Today I've got a review of The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes for you all. You know, the one I mentioned on Twitter? (By the way, you should follow me over there if you don't already. I love Twitter.)


Book: The Naturals

Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Publisher: Hyperion

Genre: Mystery, Murder, YA, Contemporary, Love Triangles

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides—especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own. Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.


Review: Well I didn't see THAT coming.

And by 'THAT' I mean "WHAT JUST HAPPENED LIKE HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT COMING!!!"

This is a murder mystery, hence the whole 'I didn't see it coming' thing, and I believe that if you do see it coming, you might not enjoy the book as much. However, Jennifer Lynn Barnes does an excellent job of leading you astray. She certainly led me astray quite a few times.

I definitely liked Cassie as our narrator, which is always good when a book is written in first person POV like The Naturals. She was spunky, and her motive to solve the case made sense.

I also liked some of the other Naturals who were side characters like Sloane, the walking encyclopedia and Leah, the human lie detector. Both girls were quirky and added to the story.

However, when it came to the two Naturals who were men, Michael and Dean, I was like eh. The love triangle between the two men and the protagonist drove me nuts. I didn't root for either guy, the triangle itself wasn't that interesting, and it's never resolved by the end, so it will drag out into book two.

The concept itself felt new, even though Cassie could have been a teenage Sherlock Holmes with her ability.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a skilled writer no doubt, and I found The Naturals very easy to get through.

Overall, The Naturals is a fast-paced, action-packed mystery that I believe will appeal to fans of Sherlock Holmes, Pretty Little Liars, C.S.I., and Veronica Mars.

See you all soon!

Liran

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!