Review of One

Monday, 10 August 2015
Hello Fellow Book Lovers,

Today I've got my review of One by Sarah Crossan which comes out in September/here's why you should go preorder it. 

Book: One
Author: Sarah Crossan
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult, Verse, Contemporary 
Cover:












Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: Tippi and Grace share everything—clothes, friends . . . even their body. Writing in free verse, Sarah Crossan tells the sensitive and moving story of conjoined twin sisters, which will find fans in readers of Gayle Forman, Jodi Picoult, and Jandy Nelson.

Tippi and Grace. Grace and Tippi. For them, it’s normal to step into the same skirt. To hook their arms around each other for balance. To fall asleep listening to the other breathing. To share. And to keep some things private. The two sixteen-year-old girls have two heads, two hearts, and each has two arms, but at the belly, they join. And they are happy, never wanting to risk the dangerous separation surgery.

But the girls’ body is beginning to fight against them. And soon they will have to face the impossible choice they have avoided for their entire lives.

Review: Oh wow. This book.

This book.

It gave me the feels.

I never knew I could enjoy a book written in verse so much, but here I am giving One by Sarah Crossan five stars.

This book made me cry. This book made me laugh. And then it made me cry again. (Not that making me cry is a bad thing. I'm generally an emotional wreck whenever anything become relatively sad.)

The writing was lyrical and beautiful, and I highly enjoyed Grace's narrative. While I'd never read verse before (and likely wouldn't have read this book had I known it was written in verse), I enjoyed this book immensely.

It was easy to get through, and covered a fair amount of issues not that many books tend to cover. Namely, eating disorders, loss, poverty, family dynamics (seriously though, why does no one in YA have a loving family?), etc. (and I say etcetera because of spoilers).

I know at this point, half of you have been scared off by the word 'verse' and you shouldn't be. Sarah Crossan is incredibly talented and will make you fall in love with it.

Moving onto the characters, this book is about Grace and Tippi who are conjoined twins, and their lives really. (I'd go into more depth, but spoilers.) Both twins are likeable and relatable. The book is told in Grace's POV, and Grace is the twin who is a bit more shy and reserved, so I enjoyed reading from her perspective over Tippi's.

The romance in the novel is barely there, and instead, the friendships take centerstage. At their new school, Tippi and Grace befriend Yasmeen and Jon who don't judge them for who they are, and with whom they share a healthy relationship that doesn't involve competing for Jon or outshining the other person. Each member of the group supports the other members and doesn't try to take away from them.

Additionally, the twins have a younger sister named Dragon whom they love as much as they do each other--a relationship you don't often see in YA novels. Dragon is well developed like the girls' parents, and doesn't leave after the first chapter.

Also, the two parents love all their children and support them throughout the novel no matter what. Neither one turns on any of them or purposely tries to kill one of them. (You laugh, but it's a common thing in YA fantasies and dystopians.)

The diversity in this book is also apparent and is not used to define any character. Meaning, even though Yasmeen has HIV, it is not her defining characteristic the way the twins are not defined by their body.

Overall, One is a phenomenal novel that I adored from start to finish and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a darker contemporary.

I will definitely be checking out Sarah's other novels, and can't wait to see what Sarah writes in the future.

See you all soon!

Liran

Disclaimer: I received an electronic ARC of this book via Edelweiss courtesy of the publisher. This has in no way influenced my thoughts and opinions on this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!