My Throne of Glass Fandom Thoughs

Monday, 7 September 2015
So I took a much needed "break/hiatus" from blogging and such. But now I'm "back" (and "refreshed") with new ideas and stuff.

But this post is about something I posted on Tumblr concerning all the Throne of Glass fandom drama. Why? Because I really hope everyone knows what has been happening so we can put a stop to it.

The immaturity of the fandom has reached a new low and I am sick of all the name calling and the hating, so here is my lovely rant. Enjoy.

"Dear Throne of Glass fandom,

We need to talk. The way people have been acting lately is unacceptable. This is a fandom. We are all here to support the books and Sarah J. Maas. These characters are fictional. They may feel real, but they are not.

Lashing out by rating Queen of Shadows one star on Goodreads because your favourite ship isn’t canon is immature.

Sending hate to Sarah because you don’t like what happened in Queen of Shadows is immature.
Telling Sarah she doesn’t deserve her characters is immature. Also, HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO THE AUTHOR OF THE SERIES YOU CLAIM TO LOVE JUST AS MUCH AS I DO LIKE THAT???!!! SARAH DESERVES TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT. YOU ARE HER *FANS*. START ACTING THAT WAY.

If you’re in it just for your favourite ship, go read some fanfiction and avoid the books themselves if you can’t handle your ship not being endgame. That’s what fanfiction is for.

Lastly, STOP CALLING PEOPLE OFFENSIVE NAMES. THAT IS NOT HOW YOU BEHAVE. EVER. THAT IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND WRONG AND IMMATURE.
THIS IS A FANDOM. EVEN IF YOU DISAGREE WITH SOMEONE, THEY STILL DESERVE TO BE RESPECTED.

STOP MAKING ME WISH THIS WAS 2013 AND THERE WAS NO HUGE FANDOM AND CROWN OF MIDNIGHT WASN’T A BESTSELLER YET. I LIKE HAVING PEOPLE TO FANGIRL WITH, BUT NOT IF YOU’RE BEING DISRESPECTFUL.
YOU ARE DRIVING AWAY NEW READERS. THINK OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN AND WILL SEE THE FANDOM DRAMA AND NOT READ THE BOOKS BECAUSE THEY DON’T WANT TO BE A PART OF IT.
YOU ARE HURTING SARAH’S SALES AND THAT IS THE LAST THING WE WANT. THIS IS HER JOB. THIS IS HOW SHE PAYS HER BILLS. I DON’T CARE IF YOU’RE MAD AT HER, IT IS NOT YOUR PLACE TO DRIVE AWAY OTHER READERS BECAUSE YOU ARE BEING IMMATURE AND DISRESPECTFUL.

Yours,

An upset fan in the Throne of Glass fandom."

Now I know this is my book blog, but I think it's important that I also discuss my thoughts on what is happening in the YA community and what needs to change. I (like many people) am quite tired of all the bashing and the hating and all the drama.

That all needs to stop. I have a voice. I am going to use it. That's what my blog is for: To give me, a girl on the internet a voice.

So no, I'm not going to stop posting reviews (I STTTTIIIILLLLLL NNNEEEEEDDDDD TO POST MY THE CONSPIRACY OF US REVIEW. SIGH.) on here or being all nerdy, but I'm not going to keep quiet either.

Some things are best said out loud so people know what's bothering you. And if you disagree with me, GREAT!!! We can talk about it. But the drama needs to be talked out and resolved so that everyone feels welcome and respected in the YA community.

Sorry for the ranty/sappy post. I just wanted to share me thoughts with all of you!!!

Empress Liran

(Excuse my narcissistic sign-off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!