Review of Vengeance Road

Thursday, 10 September 2015
Today I have a review of my favourite YA western. Enjoy!


Book: Vengeance Road

Author: Erin Bowman
Publisher: HMH
Genre: Young Adult, Western, Badass, Adventure, Personal Favourite

Rating: Infinite Stars/5 Stars. (It's a new favourite of mine.)

Summary: When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Rose Riders for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devious strangers, dust storms, and a pair of brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, she gets closer to the truth about herself and must decide if there's room for love in a heart so full of hate.

In the spirit of True Grit, the cutthroat days of the Wild West come to life for a new generation.



Review: To sum it up, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK. IT IS FUN AND FULL OF ACTION/EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED IN A BOOK.

I'M ONLY WRITING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU ALL NEED THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIVES ASAP. 

Sitting down to write this review has been hard. How do you put your love for such a great book into words? 

I don't know. But this is my attempt to convey my love for Vengeance Road and why you should read it. 

1) It's a YA Western. When was the last time I read a YA Western? Um...NEVER. This was my first one, and it most certainly won't be my last!!! Something about the way Erin describes the Wild West takes the reader back to 1800s Arizona. And despite the guns and danger, this book makes me want to go back in time. 

2) The western aspect isn't downplayed. Worried that this isn't gritty? Not filled with saloons, horse ridding, and guns? That the characters don't shoot first and think later? 

You shouldn't be. This is a great western novel through and through. 

3) Erin Bowman is a phenomenal writer. She's on my auto-read/I-will-read-her-books-as-soon-as-I-can list. In Vengeance Road, her world is imaginative and her characters are well developed, and relatable (just as I'd expected). 

4) The characters are interesting and you can't help but root for them. I loved Kate despite her questionable morals (her actions are well justified). I loved riding with her on her quest for vengeance. 

I loved the secondary and throat characters too. They were also well developed and helped further the story and challenged Kate along the way. 

 5) Special shout out to Jesse Colton who is the (and I don't use this term lightly) "cinnamon bun of the story, too good, too pure for this world". What I mean by that is I really liked his character and want a Jesse Colton spinoff. 

6) The romance is a bit of a slow burn. It's not instant--something that YA novels often have. It's much more realistic. 

7) THAT. COVER. IS. GORGEOUS. AND. SO. IS. THE. REST. OF. THIS. BOOK. WAS. SO. MUCH. FUN. 

In the end, you're just going to have to trust me whether or not you love westerns, YA, or books, you need to read this book. 

Vengeance Road is all I've ever wanted in a novel and more. It is a book I will reread time and time again. And each time I'll reread it, it will still suck me into the story and never let me go. I will never be bored when I am reading this book. 

It is truly fantastic. 

- Liran

**I received this book from the publisher. This has in no way influenced my thoughts on this book. It's just THAT GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!