What I Didn't Know About Blogging Part One

Tuesday, 22 September 2015

There are so many things I wish I knew about blogging before I started this blog. I didn't do my research (because doing things on a whim is fun sometimes). Hopefully someone will find this useful because there are definitely some aspects to blogging only bloggers know about. We don't think to share that information if no one asks for it or if we're not doing a blog post like this. And I'm sure I'll miss something or if there is anything you want me to discuss in a future blog post, you can always email me, tweet me (maybe using #WIDKAB so I can find things or mentioning me @EmpressLiran), or comment on this post. I promise I don't bite.

I just figured that I would cover the basics here in case anyone was ever curious on my perspective and wanted my advice--even if it is pretty standard.

So here goes nothing.

Something many people don't realize is just how much time blog posts take. It's more than just writing a post, you know. First you have to come up with an idea (this can take anywhere from a second to several weeks depending on how much creative juice you've got at the moment), which generally only comes (at least for me) when I feel somewhat inspired, like the content I'm going to blog about is meaningful and worthwhile for anyone who is reading it.

Remember that it does feel pretty awful when you put your heart and soul into something and no one reads it. You don't know how many views this has at the moment that you're reading it, but this post may have zero views or a thousand. It's not something you consciously consider when you're reading someone else's blog. But they know the numbers. It's shown to them if they want to see how many people have viewed their post.

This can lead to putting out content for the sake of putting out content--something that I try very hard not to do. It's a trap, really. Just so you know, bad content drives people away from your blog unless they are a dedicated fan.

When a specific post that is possibly a bit unconventional or different from all the other posts a blogger has written, they will likely avoid writing another blog post that is similar unless they absolutely adored the post and completely disregard their numbers. In that case, I salute those bloggers for not caring about the response their post generates.

The fact of the matter is that numbers count. Numbers help establish your blog in the blogging world. The higher they are, the more people that are reading your blog. Don't forget that those people might show your blog to their friends to help attract more traffic to your blog.

In a world dominated by cold, hard numbers, they do matter. Way more than anyone would like to admit.

And that's where one might feel pressured to produce a certain kind of content specifically created for the views. It's creatively draining and can put you in a real funk because it's not as fun as blogging about what you want to blog about. But people will do it anyway because that's how you get news (and we all know how important those are).

Some examples of this may include:

  • Putting out a positive review for a book that you didn't necessarily like because it's popular and you want to fit in.
  • Incorporating things like gifs because it makes your post more "user friendly" even when it's a pain to find the perfect one and you don't think you actually need to include them.
  • Blogging about something because it's trending in the book world.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty of this. It's why I will never post a review of certain books that I disliked that EVERYONE liked. Because negative reviews for beloved books attracts hate and NO ONE wants to deal with that.

Hate hurts. Hate can drive someone off the internet. Hate can do all kinds of damage, which really, really sucks.

My blog might be my blog, but it's really not a place for me to voice my opinion on EVERY SINGLE book I read. So, sorry. I really am. But I struggle with the fear of waking up one morning to see something hateful in my notifications or my inbox. The internet is a double-edged sword. Everyone has the power to voice their opinion, not just you.

Putting yourself on the internet means you will be constantly judged. Is it worth it? Depends. Some days I want to sit in a corner and cry because of the internet and some days I love being on it.

I just really hope anyone thinking about starting a blog who is reading this knows that they will be judged because once you put yourself out on the internet, you can't leave.

I realize now that I have so much more to say and that I'm going to save it for another post because this one is getting fairly long. (See: ARCs, graphics, social media, marketing oneself, feeling excluded or included, etc.)

I really hope someone finds it useful and I'd love to know if you did. :)

(Also, if any other bloggers want to do a guest post about this, fill out this handy form please: http://goo.gl/forms/ukHU6cfggI)

2 comments:

  1. God, so true! I never realized when I started out just how much work it is to get a steady readership. I still look at blogs whose posts get half a dozen comments and wonder what I need to do differently. It can be frustrating, but it also gets my head out of the fun of blogging, which isn't good. It's a hard balance.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I'm not alone! All I ever see are soooooo many comments on everyone else's blogs as well and I just wonder HOW as well. :( Still waiting for the day a blog post of mine generates a discussion in the comments. :(

      Liran

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!