What I Didn't Know About Blogging Part Two

Saturday, 26 September 2015

I'm taking a break from review week for this because it's important.

Let's talk about making friends online and hate and backlash and all the scariness that comes with interacting with others in the YA Book Community. It's a very sensitive topic, and even as I'm writing this, I am petrified of any hate I might receive.

But I think there are experiences I need to share with you so that everyone knows that no matter how amazing someone thinks you are, there's always going to be someone who you rub the wrong what for whatever reason. And you won't even know why because life doesn't always give you the answers to your questions. Sometimes, you can be the ripest peach in the bunch and there's still going to be someone who hates peaches. (Personally, I love peaches but okay. This was the best analogy I thought the internet had to offer so I'm borrowing it.)

I want to talk about my experiences because I think they are valuable lessons to some newer bloggers. Let it be known that you may choose to discredit what I've dealt with and am dealing with, but any hate towards me will result in me blocking you. I will not stand here and take it.

Congrats to you if you've never had a poor encounter in the bloggerspheare, but I have. And I'm not going to mention names because that would be rude and mean. I'm only writing this to caution newbie bloggers that you're not likely to love everyone in the community. That's all. I am not bashing on anyone. (Hence the no names.)

I don't know if you've noticed, but I am a die-hard fan of a certain book. I won't say the title of the book except there is a group associated with that book. And that they have blocked me for their main Twitter account.

Yes, this fan account for this epic, amazing book has blocked me, destroying any chances I ever had at possibly joining this group and gushing about this amazing book with them.

THAT FELT FREAKING GREAT. WHY DIDN'T I TELL YOU ALL EARLIER???

Please, if you think you know what I'm talking about or if you do know who I'm talking about, please, please, please don't tell anyone. I don't want to spread hate or make people hate me anymore than they already do.

I'm just pissed because I have no idea why I was blocked. I don't recall doing anything wrong. I just woke up one day and it was like that. :(

THERE IS A POINT TO THIS. PROMISE. It is: Doesn't matter who you are, you are not going to get along with everyone. All you can do is say "hi" to someone and hope they respond back, which leads to a friendship.

Twitter chats (like the #LCWL ones I host) are a great way to meet people if you were wondering. So many bloggers are just dying to talk to you and make everyone feel included that we just want you all to SAY HI SO WE CAN FIND YOU AND TALK TO YOU ABOUT BOOKS.

And if you don't get along with a certain person, you don't have to talk to them again. There's a simple "mute" button so they'll never show up in your notifications or Timeline again.

Really, if you tweet "hi" at me (I'm @EmpressLiran), you will get a response. Promise I won't be mean to you. I don't bite. :)



(Also, if any other bloggers want to do a guest post about this, fill out this handy form please: http://goo.gl/forms/ukHU6cfggI)

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Liran :( I'll never be able to completely understand why people are horrible online (especially when a situation is completely unprovoked) Thanks for the great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! :) I don't think anyone will ever be able to understand why people do these things for no reason. :(

      Delete
  2. OH NO!!! How could they do that?! :( I'm sorry this happened to you! Block them from your Twitter chat, haha! JK All the love to youuuuu. <3

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been so upsetting to be blocked and not to know why! I once wrote a semi-negative review of a book. Before I wrote the review the author was all chatty. Then after, she stopped following me. I didn't think I was rude, but that was her choice. I think it's good to talk about these things (without mentioning names) so people will know that this happens to most people online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. :( One time I wrote a negative review and emailed the review to the author because it was for a blog tour, and I got a response back about everything I'd "misunderstood" about the book. :(

      Delete
  4. Awww I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know it's hard to not take it personally, but try not to. You are awesome on Twitter (so friendly and approachable). :D

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! You're incrediblely awesome and friendly too!!! :) <3

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!