Review of Never Never

Saturday, 3 October 2015
Happy Saturday! Because who doesn't love Saturday? (I think Saturdays are great.)

Book: Never Never

Author: Brianna R. Shrum

Publisher: Spencer Hill Press

Genre: Pirates, Peter Pan, Origin story, Young Adult

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: James Hook is a child who only wants to grow up.

When he meets Peter Pan, a boy who loves to pretend and is intent on never becoming a man, James decides he could try being a child—at least briefly. James joins Peter Pan on a holiday to Neverland, a place of adventure created by children’s dreams, but Neverland is not for the faint of heart. Soon James finds himself longing for home, determined that he is destined to be a man. But Peter refuses to take him back, leaving James trapped in a world just beyond the one he loves. A world where children are to never grow up.

But grow up he does.

And thus begins the epic adventure of a Lost Boy and a Pirate.

This story isn’t about Peter Pan; it’s about the boy whose life he stole. It’s about a man in a world that hates men. It’s about the feared Captain James Hook and his passionate quest to kill the Pan, an impossible feat in a magical land where everyone loves Peter Pan.

Except one.

Review: How befitting that I review a pirate book when we all know I have a secret soft spot for them. 

Never Never beings with James Hook before he goes to Neverland. His life in London depicted as the child he was before Peter Pan turned him into the Captain Hook we all know and love to hate. It brings a more humane side to him that we don't really get to see in the Disney film. 

We're also given a glimpse into Peter Pan's darker side--something absent in the film as well. I really liked how realistic this side was. By that I mean that it's understandable how Peter became a twisted, evil little boy.

I loved the plot arc with its PIRATENESS (I love pirates) and its gore (warning for the faint of heart). This was what I was hoping this book would be and it met my expectations in every way possible.

While the writing sometimes came off a little childish, I didn't mind. I loved the way Brianna described things and the world building in the story.

Basically, this book is fun and will give fans of Peter Pan retellings exactly what they want.







***Disclaimer: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way influenced my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I read Never Never recently too, and I really liked it because I'm a fan of Peter Pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love Peter Pan too!

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!