What I Didn't Know About Blogging Part Four

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

First off, I'd like to take everyone for all the support on part one of this series. You're all the best and I'm trying to rally up fellow bloggers so we can all help new bloggers and anyone really who has a question. I feel that it's a great way to give back to the blogging community and to try something a little different on here.

Today's topic is on how to market oneself. (Because your blog will likely grow faster if you self-market.) I especially wanted to cover social media in this post because I think that in this day and age, it's a great marketing tool that any blogger should know how to use. Keep in mind that I did a "how to make friends via social media" post separate to this just to keep things organized.

So let's begin!

For those of you who don't know, I have a major Twitter addiction. It's a serious problem. (I'm @EmpressLiran if you'd like to follow me.)

But is it really?

I find that the more time I spend on Twitter--the more I interact with people on Twitter, the more blog traffic I get. What does this mean? It means that through social media where sharing your links is incredibly easy, I have added to my readership.

But there's also Instagram and Tumblr (it's hard to share your links via Instagram, but it's worth it!) that allow you to expand your readership even more. These social networks are used by so, so, so many people that the chances of someone stumbling upon a link to your blog is higher than you might think.

So here are my social media tips:
  • People are drawn to pictures! Including a graphic or cover relevant to your post can grab someone's attention and cause them to read the tweet!
  • Be concise! People will read a sentence or two about what your post is about. Make every word count!
  • Tweet or post about a blog post several times a day at different times. This increases the chances of it showing up on people's timelines.
  • Be nice to people on social media! People like nice people. Be kind and others will go check out your blog.
  • Be active on there! (Pretty self-explanatory.)
  • Don't self-promote only! Only 10-15% of your posts or tweets should be self-promotion. 
I will cover proper behaviour on social media when I explain how to make friends over there because I think social media etiquette lends itself better to that topic.

As for other methods that work well, word-of-mouth is a big one. Verbally telling your friends or people in general (as embarrassing as it may be and I am still embarrassed whenever I mention my blog to anyone I know in real life) ensures they know about your blog and they might tell their other friends about it. And...well...do you see how that's useful? Trust me, this works.

Something else that works is using key words to help people find your blog more easily. This means having a catchy title or a good description. Be articulate!

I think that's just about all the wisdom I've got on self-marketing! Tune in next time as I try to explain ARCs. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Promise. :)

(Also, if any other bloggers want to do a guest post about this, fill out this handy form please: http://goo.gl/forms/ukHU6cfggI)

2 comments:

  1. These are all excellent advice tips. I also have a Twitter addiction (whoops....sorry, not sorry really) but I've also struggled with getting people to my blog. I'm still learning and trying to navigate this. Plus, I don't post as often as other bloggers just because I have such limited time to do so. But, this post gave me a couple ideas so thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! I also don't get how some people post every day. Writing a blog post is fairly time consuming.

      Also, TWITTER!!!! <3

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!