How Much Is Too Much

Wednesday, 23 December 2015
Let's talk about street teams. Also known as the latest marketing trend to go viral within the publishing industry. Yes, street teams have been around for a while, but recently, I find that they've become...very intense. 

What do I mean by that? They've become so up-in-your-face that I'm starting to not want to read the exact same books they're promoting. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but there's something about feeling like everyone else in the world is part of this exclusive club and they're almost rubbing it in your face because you can't go anywhere online without seeing them.

I don't particularly enjoy when they consume my timelines whole. No thanks. There is such a thing as too much and some of these teams are pushing it.

And sometimes there are technical issues that don't allow certain people to sign up. 

What I'm saying is that I don't know if I'll be reading certain books because of certain street teams. Unfortunate as that is, I have seen and heard so much about these books and they have been so hyped up by these street team members that I just don't want to read them anymore. I know I'm probably alone in this, but whatever. My blog, my opinions. Personally, I'm starting to find some of these teams to be counterproductive. It's like seeing the same commercial a bajillion times for something you can't have but initially wanted. Eventually you get over wanting it. Not to mention that some of these teams start fairly early in comparison to when the books come out and do weekly major missions that require the book to constantly remain on everyone's timelines. 

No. Thanks. 

However, I do like that some teams accept everyone or let people join at any point until the book comes out. That's nice and doesn't make it feel so in-your-face. 

And I know money and stuff gets in the way of accepting everyone, but I think it's more productive to let everyone in and not send out a bunch of swag than to only let a certain number in and give them a bunch of swag. Remember, EVERYONE is a potential reader. I reckon this will get MORE people interested in reading the book rather than having a very exclusive street team that doesn't really allow people not on the team to help out. 

Also authors, please don't just pick people for their numbers. Excitement and creativity can be way more beneficial than someone with a large following who isn't nearly as excited. 

10 comments:

  1. Great post Liran, and so true! You're definitely not alone. There are a few books I wanted to pick up next year that I'm already sick of from endless street team promos and have taken off my tbr. I don't object to the perceived cliqueyness of some, it's the constant "READ THIS READ THIS READ THIS!" that turns me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I thought I was the only one tired of having their feed filled with constant promo and hype. It's nice to know I'm not alone! :)

      Delete
  2. I totally get you! It's pretty tiresome to see the same stuff over and over again. And your last line is so on point! *applauses*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way!!!

      Delete
  3. at post! I feel the same way. Street teams have always felt a little exclusive, and by the time I hear about a street team, there aren't any spots left open. I never felt like I should interact with street team tweets because they sometimes feel like an ad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It sucks when you don't feel like you can interact with the street team because you're just as much of a consumer as them. :(

      Delete
  4. I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It's very easy to go overboard and have the book being promoted be influenced by that so I'm no longer interested - though I'll try and ignore it if I loved the sound of the book before because I wouldn't want to miss out on something I'd enjoy.
    In other ways street teams can be really great so for me it's finding a balance :) really great post!
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I also try to ignore it as much as possible and remember why I wanted to read the book in the first place.

      Delete
  5. You're not alone in these thoughts! Seeing a million people hyping up the same book over and over only makes me want to read it less. And they do something feel very exclusive, making me feel like I'm missing out on something. But, at the same time, I understand that authors can only give away so much or they wouldn't ever make any money, and that would cancel out the whole point of the street team. Honestly though, I wouldn't want to join a team if I was going to be required to run around shoving books down people's throats lol.

    Your last sentence is so true though! It's a shame that many authors and publishers only look at numbers, but luckily there are still some out there who value quality and enthusiasm :-)

    (Btw your header is really pretty!)

    Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. (And Claudia from Pen Markings made the header and I agree with you, it turned out amazing!!!)

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!