Review of The Year We Fell Apart

Tuesday, 9 February 2016
So this book was really good. And I think you'll really love it too.

Book: The Year We Fell Apart

Author: Emily Martin

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary: In the tradition of Sarah Dessen, this powerful debut novel is a compelling portrait of a young girl coping with her mother’s cancer as she figures out how to learn from—and fix—her past.

Few things come as naturally to Harper as epic mistakes. In the past year she was kicked off the swim team, earned a reputation as Carson High’s easiest hook-up, and officially became the black sheep of her family. But her worst mistake was destroying her relationship with her best friend, Declan.

Now, after two semesters of silence, Declan is home from boarding school for the summer. Everything about him is different—he’s taller, stronger…more handsome. Harper has changed, too, especially in the wake of her mom’s cancer diagnosis.

While Declan wants nothing to do with Harper, he’s still Declan, her Declan, and the only person she wants to talk to about what’s really going on. But he’s also the one person she’s lost the right to seek comfort from.

As their mutual friends and shared histories draw them together again, Harper and Declan must decide which parts of their past are still salvageable, and which parts they’ll have to let go of once and for all.

In this honest and affecting tale of friendship and first love, Emily Martin brings to vivid life the trials and struggles of high school and the ability to learn from past mistakes over the course of one steamy North Carolina summer.


Review: I have to admit that I'm not much of a contemporary fan, but something about using Sarah Dessen as a comp means it's going to be an amazing book. Seriously, I can't remember the last time someone said a book was "in the tradition of Sarah Dessen" and I was let down. And The Year We Fell Apart didn't let me down in case you couldn't figure that out from the fact that I gave it five stars.

The writing was absolutely gorgeous. I really liked Emily Martin's style. It wasn't overly poetic like some other YA contemporaries and it was sort of straightforward and concise.

Oh, the angst in this book. There's enough where if you cannot stand angst, you're going to get annoyed and not like the book. However, if you don't mind a bit of angst (like me), then you'll really enjoy the story.

Also, I particularly liked Harper and how flawed she was. It really showed through and I thought that was great. She's very relatable and makes mistakes, but she's very human in a sense, and I think that's why I really enjoyed reading from her perspective.

The Year We Fell Apart is a phenomenal read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll definitely be recommending it to many people in the future.







***Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My opinions were in no way influenced by this.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!