Review of Daughters of Ruin

Tuesday, 12 April 2016
Happy Monday! I hope you're all doing well. :)

Book: Daughters of Ruin

Author: K. D. Castner

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Summary: Meet rumor with quiet, treason with cunning, and vicious with vicious.

Rhea, Cadis, Suki, and Iren have lived together since they were children. They are called sisters. They are not. They are called equals. They are not. They are princesses. And they are enemies.

A brutal war ravaged their kingdoms, and Rhea’s father was the victor. As a gesture of peace, King Declan brought the daughters of his rivals to live under his protection—and his ever-watchful eye.

For ten years they have trained together as diplomats and warriors, raised to accept their thrones and unite their kingdoms in peace. But there is no peace among sisters, and all plans shatter when the palace is attacked. As their intended future lies in ashes, Rhea, Cadis, Suki, and Iren must decide where their loyalties lie: to their nations, or to each other.

Alliances shift and the consequences are deadly in this stunning fantasy debut from K. D. Castner.


Review: It was good. I'll give it that.

But like all books with multiple POVs, I didn't particularly like all of them. Cadis and Rhea were nice. I liked their chapters and found them easy to connect to. However, there were so many parenthesis in Suki's chapters. Ugh. They just made her chapters painful to read. I guess Iren's chapters were fine. They just weren't my favourite and didn't really stick out.

I did appreciate that it was all told in third person though, because four narrators in first person would have been too much.

What I did really enjoy was the world building. I definitely got the whole Game of Thrones meets Graceling vibes from the world. Not to mention that the book was fairly fast-paced, which I liked. It didn't really drag. The plot was simple and easy to follow, so I think people who don't tend to read fantasy as much would quite enjoy Daughters of Ruin, especially if they find super complex plots in other fantasy novels to be too hard to follow.

Overall, I think I was just expecting more from this book (which is not to say it was bad or anything, but it wasn't Graceling).







***I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way influence my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!