My Post-Election Thoughts

Thursday, 10 November 2016
I'm Canadian. I know. I bet you're thinking "why is she so worried right now? She's got Trudeau and it's not like Trump is running her country."

But it's not that simple.

First of all, I have mutuals on Twitter who live in the states who are scared right now. It makes me sick to my stomach to know that the suicide call centre was busy Tuesday night because of who was elected. It is insanely disheartening to know people are scared of their new president because that's wrong. Trump is about to set America back hundreds of years socially and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't help my friends over there who are worried for their lives because they are PoC, WoC, LGBTQ+, Muslims, Jews, Mexicans, Hispanic, disabled, a woman, or any other minority, and I'm worried for them.

Secondly, there are Canadians who like Trump and are glad that he was elected. They share his views and ideologies, and I'm scared about what ideas him winning might ignite over here. I'm worried that people will get ideas. I'm worried that Trudeau is going to lose the next election to someone as bad as Trump. There are many conservatives over here who support his views, and I just hope none of them ever become Prime Minister. Not to mention the growing population of refugees we're taking in. I'm worried for them and any ideas people may get from how Donald thinks of Muslims. I don't know if these fears are rational, or if I'm just overthinking it as a result of growing up in a pretty conservative neighbourhood, but I'm still worried.

Thirdly, the American economy has a big impact on Canada, and our dollar is not doing too good at the moment. If Trump messes everything up (I wouldn't be surprised), it's going to all be a mess.

Fourth, MIKE PENCE THINKS ELECTROCUTING LGBTQ+ PEOPLE MAKES THEM STRAIGHT AND HE'S ONE DEATH AWAY FROM BEING PRESIDENT ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Fifth, 11,000  people voted for that dead gorilla and it infuriates me to no end.

Basically, I'm anxious right now and I hope everyone stays safe. Sorry for the politicalness of all this. I'll go back to bookish things soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation! We love knowing your opinions and thoughts on the matter!